Saturday, April 16, 2011

Trash Replication

In general, a theme I have noticed in all of the trash replication projects is the idea of consumption. There are many food containers, mostly made of paper, and there is a lot of detail, different types of interesting form (milk carton), and color matching. There is a lot of emphasis on trash itself which is seen in the crinkles, tears, and folds in the piece.

Certain trash has more character. I believe a worn crinkled, yet colorful popcorn bag or a Japanese candy box is more interesting than a 2-D Crunch or Skittles wrapper. There is more emphasis placed on the content and form rather than just detail work and color matching. However, in general I do not find much content in this project because the project was required. It was predetermined that we were replicating trash, so I have no connection with the Skittles wrapper that I chose to replicate. When someone walks by it, most likely they will be fooled--even just for a second--and not know which one is the replication. One may think that there are just 2 Skittles wrappers next to each other. But why are we replicating trash? What is the point? What is the content? Is it about consumerism? Or is it about how people take things for face value? What makes my piece of trash beautiful? Will other people even agree that it is beautiful or not?

If I had the choice of replicating anything, I would look for more texture and form than a candy wrapper. I would try to find something in nature just to see if I could replicate its intricate, random, and beautiful qualities.

The required presentation on foam board effects the reception of the work because it is very formal. It does not seem to suggest content, but form and execution of detail. I would present my piece in a more casual way in an environment outside a studio. I would want to catch a few observant people and see how they would react to a replicated piece of trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment