Thursday, May 2, 2013

Critique of David Maxim - Tornado #19 (1999)


David Maxim - Tornado #19 (1999) Water Color & Charcol Medium

When looking at this particular piece of art work, the first thing that my eye was attracted to were the bright and vibrant colors, hues and tones. Instantly, I my eyes paid close attention to the purples, violets, and even the grays and whites at the top of the paper, rather than the dark browns and blacks. My eyes then made their way down a slender and sleek cylinder like object that approaches the bottom of the paper. However, this object is interrupted by a strong solid dark black line causing a clash between the whites and grays and the black line.

It is almost as though this clash of colors portrays a dark and possibly violent explosion or disruption. Then my eye is attracted to what lies behind this disruption and I notice the yellow-ish tint of the paper or canvas. Furthermore, I notice all of the other disruptions or blotches of dark shades of gray and black. I then notice the smaller splotches of blacks, almost as though the artist, David Maxim, flicked his brush or dripped water colors onto the paper.

Finally, the last thing that my eye is attracted to, but at the same time not “attracted to,” is the grid like pattern layered behind and on top of some of the other colors. It is almost as though this grid or graph like object is a tool to display some form of organization or a juxtaposition of disorganization. Relating my observations in the portrait to my experiences in life, I would argue that this painting resembles that of a tornado and storm.
It is quite clear the Maxim would not be an advocate of the calmness in the storm, but rather the beautification of weather. He numerous of his works he paints tornados not as destructive and violent objects, but the beauty of the storm. He does not portray people and objects of civilization in his works, with the exception of a few roads, thus nobody is being hurt. Perhaps his works a critique of mother nature and weather, in that we should observe the natural acts of beauty rather than complaining about it whenever it interrupts our habitual routines, just as the tornado does the strong black line.

No comments:

Post a Comment